Tuesday, February 25, 2014

First post in 10 seconds or less . . .

Yeah, right! Not gonna happen, but every once in awhile I feel like sending a quick reminder that kindness is the answer.

Just yesterday I read an article on Facebook about "Mormon Culture."  A young woman had been given a note reminding her to please not wear such low cut shirts.  This young woman felt justified in proclaiming that her shirt was not indeed low cut, and that it is the Mormon culture -- perhaps more in Utah than other places, to place the blame of immoral thoughts on the women instead of the men who have these thoughts.

Instead of taking sides I thought -- why does it have to be put on FB at all?  The author of the note obviously thought he/she was doing the right thing.  The recipient of the note also thought she was in the right.  So, I say just be grateful for the reminder and let it go.  

I feel like too many of us are being put under a microscope and then set out on the world's stage to receive a grade -- which is usually not a good one.  I am so grateful that I know there is only one judge who matters, and I try (and often fail I'm sure) to remember that truth as it pertains to my own "quick to judge" thoughts and remarks.

Several years ago I learned a most valuable lesson.  There was a young 9 year old girl named Sabrina.  She was different from many 9 year old girls in that she had several learning disabilities, but very much the same as her peers in that she loved life, loved cute clothing, loved to play and was always happy to receive a compliment.

We were sitting in a church meeting and she was sitting behind me and my (future) husband.  She was actually quite well behaved aside from the fact that she was noisily chomping away at her gum. My soon to be husband turned to her and said, "Could you please stop chomping your gum?"  I was a bit mortified that he would dare say such a thing, but what followed, taught me such a beautiful lesson.  Unprompted by her father, she quickly said, "Thank you for reminding me."  It truly made time stand still for me.  I looked at her in perfect admiration.  My husband was a bit humbled and he too felt the beauty of the moment.

I wish we could all be a little more like Sabrina.  If we receive correction, whether or not it is justified, it is just that -- a good reminder.  I wish this young BYU student could have said, "Wow, thanks for the reminder."  Taken a good look in the mirror and decided whether or not her shirt was a little bit too low cut or not -- if not, no problem.  Its still a good reminder.  As for the young man that may or may not have been pushed to immoral thoughts by her shirt selection well that's a whole other discussion and really had nothing to do with her or the author of the note.  

We are all so unique as we strive to make our way on the same path.  The beauty of that diversity is what we can learn from others.

My mom always taught me that every person I meet is my superior in one way or another.  Thank you, Mom, for the reminder.

Let's be kind on this path.  I have so many failings and am grateful when people choose to see my gifts instead of my faults.  We will always be corrected in this life and it hurts.  Let's choose to receive that correction with kindness, and let's choose not to be too speedy in our correcting others.


No comments:

Post a Comment